Sunday, May 02, 2010


Marshside RSPB and Plex moss,


No sign of the summer plumaged long billed dowitcher from yesterday but a little compensation when I found a wood sandpiper on pollys pool. I started at Nels hide but hardly any waders here with just a dunlin and a few redshank. The usual avocets were around sandgrouders hide and redshanks were displaying overhead quivering their wings and calling excitedly. Big flocks of waders out on the edge of the salt marsh put on a show of swirling clouds of birds. At pollys pool a small flock of dunlin held 2 curlew sandpipers. About 40 black tailed godwits were feeding here but no sign of the dowitcher. I then spotted a small dark wader in one of the channels leading off from the pool. The yellowish legs,long white supercillium and spangled mantle confirmed this as a wood sandpiper.


On the way home I checked out plex moss for dotterel but no sign of any today. 4 whimbrel, 5 wheatears and 1 whinchat showed as I made my way across the moss.













No comments: